Saturday, December 10, 2005

Book Review - Janathan Strange & Mr. Norrell



Book Review
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke

This book has been getting great reviews and I eagerly looked forward to
reading it. But it was not what I expected and I only made it 150 pages
into the novel before I put it down.
This Book is really not my cup of tea. <- That was a pun there; let me explain.
If you are into the kind of book that creates atmosphere and enjoy the old english
stories of high society types sitting around the reading room over tea and pipes and discussing london society then this is the book for you.

Me, I much prefer that problems be solved with a sharp sword and some muscle.
Although this book is exceptionally well written it just moved too slow.

This first even of any interest didn't happen until 50 pages in and that event was only so-so. (A bunch of statues come alive and start talking)

As I progressed it seemed to be building toward something but it just didn't appeal to me.

One more note: The book uses extensive footnotes -which I found tedious and boring. (Some of the footnotes were a page long! Hey if you need a backstory to explain your main story then write the back story. Don't foot note it -at least not this much.

Two stars out of five.

No comments: